Tag : wsus

WSUS – Index was outside the bounds of the array

I didn’t Microsoft is so bad at WSUS….the issue was KB3159706 was recently installed on our SCCM WSUS Server…and everything broke after that…

 

https://www.sepago.de/blog/2016/04/22/wsus-service-stopped-do-not-install-kb3148812-on-configuration-manager-or-wsus

 

 


WSUS SUSDB Recovery Pending

Saw this issue when I logged into the WSUS database via management studio: SUSDB(Recovery Pending).

When I checked SoftwareDistribution.log with my WSUS, then I realized that NT\Network Service cannot log on the WID database..

So the solution is just to add NT Authority\Network Service to the WSUS database permission. then problem solved 🙂


SCCM WSUS Client Issue – Failed to end search job. Error = 0x80072ee2

When I tried to testing SCCM WSUS Software patching, and checked the WUAhandler.log, it showed “OnSearch Complete – Failed to end search job. Error = 0x80072ee2. Scan failed with error = 0x80072ee2.”

Then I looked at the WSUS log under our SCCM server : C:\Program Files\Update Services\LogFiles\SoftwareDistribution.log”

It was all red with “w3wp.21 SoapUtilities.CreateException ThrowException: actor = https://xx.com:8531/SimpleAuthWebService/SimpleAuth.asmx, ID=xxx, Error Code=InternalServerError, Message=, Client=? . and then it was followed by ” System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException(0x80131904):A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible.Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections.(provider: Named Pipes Provider, error:40 – Could not open a connection to SQL Server) —> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception(0x8004005):The semaphore timeout period has expired”

I searched this error message online, some are WID database issues – Limit SQL memory, Reindex WSUS Database, some are WSUS Update issues – KB3159706. But they don’t seem to be the reasons of my broken machine 🙁

Just curious, I used SQL Server Management Studio to check the WID(Windows Internal Database), and I got the same result.

The path to WID for WSUS 4 (server 2010) is:

\\.\pipe\Microsoft##WID\tsql\query

Ok, now I know, the issue was the WID not running!

then I found out I just need to enable the below account to be in Log on as a service.

NT SERVICE\MSSQL$MICROSOFT##WID

to fix it:

Open Group Policy Editor ( gpedit.msc)

Computer Configuration -> Policies -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local Policies -> User Rights Assignment -> Log on as a service

Just manually add this account and now the issue fixed!


WSUS Installation Error – Cannot find the file specified

We have some issues with our WSUS, so I uninstalled it under “Add roles and features” in Server Manager, but it always failed with post installation with “System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (0x80004005): The system cannot find the file specified”.  – the WSUS post installation log is located at C:\Users\user\AppData\Local\Temp\tmp***.log

When I looked further, it was stopped at “Configuring website on port 8530” this step.

Then I figured it was something wrong with IIS, so I checked there, seems ok…

Not much information on the internet, in the end I have to ask Microsoft support for help. First they asked me to uninstall IIS, as they have quite some users with same issues with that.

But no luck with uninstalling IIS, then we tried using Process Monitor to monitor the wsus post installation process…still no luck…

After the next day, they told me to try uninstall WSUS with command line:

Uninstall-WindowsFeature -Name UpdateServices,Windows-Internal-Database -Restart
Post restart, delete EVERYTHING in the C:\Windows\WID\ (for Win 2012 r2) folder.
Then run the following command to re-install WSUS:
Install-WindowsFeature UpdateServices -Restart

 

and the post installation success!

 

Just curious, why Microsoft got a broken uninstallation from GUI mode?

 


Failed to Add Update Source for WUAgent of type (2) and Error = 0x87d00692.

When I tried to push some software updates via SCCM, I can successfully deploy, but the client has no activities on the software update.

First I found out that Windows update is not enabled in “Client Settings” for our workstations(When I looked at Locationservices.log there’s no WSUS Path)

Then I got this error message:  “Failed to Add Update Source for WUAgent of type (2) and Error = 0x87d00692.”  from WUAHandler.log

We have a few WSUS servers, and I was using the WSUS within the SCCM Server, apparently our domain group policy has restricted one specific WSUS for the workstations, so I have to start over again to use that WSUS server to publish software updates…

 

Here is an excellent article on troubleshooting SCCM Software Updates:

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/sudheesn/2010/11/09/troubleshooting-sccm-part-iii-software-updates/