SCCM WSUS Client Issue – Failed to end search job. Error = 0x80072ee2

When I tried to testing SCCM WSUS Software patching, and checked the WUAhandler.log, it showed “OnSearch Complete – Failed to end search job. Error = 0x80072ee2. Scan failed with error = 0x80072ee2.”

Then I looked at the WSUS log under our SCCM server : C:\Program Files\Update Services\LogFiles\SoftwareDistribution.log”

It was all red with “w3wp.21 SoapUtilities.CreateException ThrowException: actor = https://xx.com:8531/SimpleAuthWebService/SimpleAuth.asmx, ID=xxx, Error Code=InternalServerError, Message=, Client=? . and then it was followed by ” System.Data.SqlClient.SqlException(0x80131904):A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible.Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections.(provider: Named Pipes Provider, error:40 – Could not open a connection to SQL Server) —> System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception(0x8004005):The semaphore timeout period has expired”

I searched this error message online, some are WID database issues – Limit SQL memory, Reindex WSUS Database, some are WSUS Update issues – KB3159706. But they don’t seem to be the reasons of my broken machine 🙁

Just curious, I used SQL Server Management Studio to check the WID(Windows Internal Database), and I got the same result.

The path to WID for WSUS 4 (server 2010) is:

\\.\pipe\Microsoft##WID\tsql\query

Ok, now I know, the issue was the WID not running!

then I found out I just need to enable the below account to be in Log on as a service.

NT SERVICE\MSSQL$MICROSOFT##WID

to fix it:

Open Group Policy Editor ( gpedit.msc)

Computer Configuration -> Policies -> Windows Settings -> Security Settings -> Local Policies -> User Rights Assignment -> Log on as a service

Just manually add this account and now the issue fixed!

Leave a Reply